Many people think of Florida as hot, balmy sunny and fun. Until they get here in the “winter months” only to find the only thing missing is snow. Florida gets snow in the northern part of the state but here in the south, we can see temps drop into the 30’s. The ocean is too cold for swimming and the winds are unbearable for a lunch at the boardwalk. Many seasonal tourists do not get to enjoy all the fun the blue beaches offer.
NOW is the time. Temps are in the high 80s winds are low and the fish are jumpin. Bikini season unofficially begins around early May while us locals get a jump on our tan. Here is a list of things to do in the Fort Lauderdale area this summer. But be warned, we may wear skimpy bathing suits but sunscreen is applied ALL over the body; the sun is so strong you will get your tan but avoid painful ugly burns.
- McDonald’s Air and Sea Show – mid-May, visitors get to see US Marines perform all manner of aerial and water-based displays at this popular annual event
- Fort Lauderdale Gun and Knife Show – mid-June, held at the War Memorial Auditorium this annual event attracts lovers of civilian weapons and light military hardware
- Stonewall Street Festival and Parade – mid-June, Gay Pride event, attracting more than 10,000 gay and lesbian visitors
- Bank of America Starlight Musicals – Friday nights at Fort Lauderdale’s Holiday Park witness the Bank of America staging open-air concerts featuring a variety of musical genres. Visitors are expected to bring their own chairs, garden mats, food and drink.
- July Fourth is the most crowded and fun times on the beaches. Almost all cities have fireworks. the very best place to see them is on the water. Book early, get on a boat to see the spectacular fireworks of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood and Popano Beach.
- Hollywood Beach Latin Festival – just outside of Fort Lauderdale in neighboring Hollywood you’ll find the August Hollywood Beach Latin Festival. Visitors can view performances by local and international artists while enjoying great Latin food and arts and crafts displays. The night time becomes the biggest dance party on the beach.